I know you know this, but hydration is important. How important? Well your body is about 60-70% water by mass. It’s essential for pretty much everything we do.
It’s especially important if you like to get out there and do cool things in the summer (read: hike, walk, run, bike, etc).
Here’s the numbers (just in case you need some convincing):
- If you’re dehydrated by as little as 2% by body weight performance is impaired.
- If dehydration increases to 5% the drop can be substantial – up to 30% decrease in performance. (aka you’re going to have a really crappy run/ walk/ hike/ bike).
So what can you do? Aim to keep your hydration on point – before, during and after your activity by upping your guzzling game.
I tend to shy away from the “quota’s” out there like 8 glasses per day or 1/2 your body weight in ounces, but instead recommend drinking early and often and using your urine as a guide. Yup. I did say urine. It should be a pale yellow colour. If it’s brighter then you’re likely needing to drink up (more). Or you’ve possibly taken some vitamins, in which case, wait for the vitamins to clear and keep drinking.
But how do you get it in (with ease)? One way I know helps a lot of people is making it enjoyable (ok, that works for ALL people, am I right?!).
Here are 5 fun ways to amp up your water this summer:
- Blueberries and basil (frozen blueberries are my fave – ice cube AND flavour burst)
- Strawberries and orange slices (again, I’d recommend frozen strawberries)
- Fresh Ginger (peeled and sliced finely) and Lemon slices
- Pineapple and Mint (surprise: frozen pineapple for the win here)
- Cucumber and Lemongrass (you can slice the cucumber and just put the whole sprig of lemongrass in the jug).
If you’re not drinking it straight away like I do (patience isn’t my strongest virtue), I recommend making a big jug and leaving it on the counter to let all the flavours “mingle,” then pop it in the fridge and enjoy!