Super vegan and super tasting that should say! These tacos got a 4 thumbs up from the Goerzen clan. And I feel like that’s saying a lot given the base is refried beans!
This made enough for 8 tacos and a bit of leftovers (enough for me to make a burrito with the refried beans, some yam and spinach rolled up, also yummy)!
- Corn tortillas (8)
- black refried beans (regular would be fine too, but I like the flavour of black beans)
- 1T chili powder
- 1/2t garlic powder
- 1 cooked yam, chopped into bite sized pieces (I used frozen prepped yam this time, but you could easily bake a yam and cool it and chop)
- 1T olive oil
- 1/2C salsa (divided – 1/2 goes into beans, 1/2 goes into yam mixture)
- 2C Red cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper, diced finely
- 1/2C chopped parsley
- 2T apple cider vinegar
- 1t maple syrup
- 2T olive oil
- 1t celery seed (optional)
- Salt (to taste)
- guacamole (I made my own with 1 avocado, lime and zest from 1 lime, some salt, garlic powder and a splash of franks)
- Pickled red onions (see this recipe)
- Pickle the onions (this is best done in advance). If you don’t do this in advance swap a little salsa as the topper instead, yum.
- Preheat the oven to about 300F (this is to warm the tortillas, this can be a conventional oven or a mini-oven or you can even use a stovetop pan to heat them).
- Make the slaw: cabbage, pepper, parsley, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil, celery seed and salt. Mix it all together. The longer this marinates the better. Yum.
- Warm the oil in a fry pan over medium heat, add in yam and begin to fry until you start to see nice char marks. Add in salsa and heat through.
- In a second pan over medium heat add the refried beans and begin to heat. Add in the chili powder and garlic powder and mix well. Finally add 1/4C of the salsa and mix well and heat through.
- Warm the tortillas.
- Layer it up: Corn tortilla, smear of black beans, yam mixture, slaw, guac, onions.
- ENJOY the messy deliciousness!