Butter Chicken. What’s not to love? This classic Indian dish is rich & delicious…but made traditionally it’s not the leanest or lightest. But this version made with Chicken Breast & incorporating some veg makes it a little healthier – while still retaining it’s AWESOMENESS.
3 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1 onion, diced
3 t coconut oil
4t garam masala
1t ground ginger
1/2t chili powder
1t curry powder
1t pink or sea salt
1t ground black pepper
1 can of light coconut milk
1 can of tomato paste (low sodium if possible)
2T whole grain flour (I used spelt)
1 1/2C frozen peas
1C Brown rice, cooked per instructions
- Set the rice to cooking (1C rice to 2 1/4 water bring to a boil then turn to low and keep covered) – takes about 20-25 minutes
- In a large pot on medium heat add the coconut oil & onion and cook until transparent
- Add in the spice mixture and cook (stirring) for about 30s
- Pour in the coconut milk, tomato paste & flour and allow to thicken while stirring. Bring to a bubble.
- Add in the chopped chicken breast and allow to cook in the mixture on med-low heat (about 10 minutes). Stir occassionally so it doesn’t burn.
- Add in the peas and allow to thaw.
Serve butter chicken with peas on top of rice. If you want to reduce the complex carbs you could do it on top of cauliflower rice instead OR on a bed of greens for more veg! I had my leftovers (butter chicken & rice) on top a bed of greens the next day. They wilted as I reheated and it was AWESOME! #enjoy #superyum