Eating healthy should NOT be boring! I can’t say that enough. I refuse to eat steamed veggies & broiled lean proteins. For me that is not living (nor is it particularly healthy – hello…healthy fats! Variety! Grains!). But I get life is busy & cooking from scratch can be overwhelming, so here’s a simple concept that you can RUN with. Have fun & get creative. I’ll often set it all up & then let each member of the famjam choose their ingredients!
Healthy BOWLS concept = take 1 items from each category to keep your meals simple & fresh!
- Whole grain (1/2 C) – brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, barley, whole grain pasta…(optional for those restricting grains)
- Veggies (1-2C) – (choose as many as you’d like) sprouts, grated or matchstick carrots, grated beet, grape tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, chopped spinach or kale, jicima, celery, radish, onions, cooked squash, corn…
- Protein (3/4C) – Stir fried tofu (pictured), cooked salmon, tuna, chicken, lean ground beef or turkey, beans, lentils…feel free to use canned or ready to go prepped options to minimize time in prep!
- Dressing (1-2T) – Glory Bowl Dressing, Sriracha Maple Dressing, Balsamic Vinaigrette, Delicious Dilly Dressing, Peanut Miso, Chili Lime Dressing…don’t want to make it? Use a store bought dressing you like the ingredients list of (think short list all things you recognize as food!)
- (Optional) Seed or nut (1T)- Almonds, hemp hearts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cashews, pecans, walnuts…
I love the versatility of bowls! Have fun and don’t be shy to try new things!