I made this as a simple pack and go for our spring-time life of swim club – baseball – teaching – run clinics – etc. It was DELISH!
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2T olive oil
- 4T Balsamic Vinegar
- rind from 1 orange (or two clemintines)
- juice of 1 orange (or two clemintines)
- 1/2t red chili flakes
- 1T cumin, paprika
- S+P (I used large crystals of sea salt and was quite generous with my pepper)
Mix well and place on a baking tray covered in parchment paper. Bake at 325F until the chickpeas are roasted relatively dry. About 45-60minutes. Allow to cool on the baking tray before you put them in a container. Store in a sealed container for up to 5 days (if they last that long)!
Easy (and QUICK) Pickled Onions
- 1 red onion, sliced fine
- 1C water
- 1/2C apple cider vinegar
- 1T sugar or honey – OPTIONAL
- 1t dry dill (fresh is even better) – OPTIONAL
- 1T sea salt
In a glass jar or bowl with a lid place sliced onions dill and salt. Warm water, apple cider vinegar and sugar or honey in a saucepan to just before boiling. Pour mixture over the onions. And allow to sit uncovered. Once cool cover and place in the fridge for up to a few weeks (though highly doubt they’ll last that long)!
- Base: cooked grain like quinoa, barley or rice
- Greens: slaw mixture, kale, spinach, lettuces, etc.
- Veggies; peppers, cucumbers, celery, grape tomatoes, etc.
- Protein: cooked chicken or tofu and roasted chick peas
- Healthy fats: 1/4 Avocado, feta or goat cheese,
- Accessories (for a little flair): seeds like pumpkin or sunflower seeds and dried fruit like cranberries, mango or chopped dates.
- Dressing: use your fave ready made dressings or simply drizzle with a little olive oil, some of the pickled onion juice and some S+P.