Yum-O! This is a recipe from the fabulous cookbook, Oh She Glows Everyday. It was simple, quick and family friendly (read my kids ate it mostly without complaint!). I kept to the ingredients but fast-tracked the recipe by cheating on the lentil cooking part. See the directions.
1C uncooked red lentils
4t olive oil or avocado oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2t minced fresh ginger
2T red curry paste
1T curry powder
1/2t ground tumeric
1t ground cumin
1/2+ t sea salt to taste
1t sugar (I subbed honey)
1 can of crushed tomatoes
1 can (398mL) of chick peas
Chopped cilantro (for garnish)
To make this it’s SUPER simple:
- Saute the onion and garlic in the oil. until soft & translucent. add in ginger and stir, then the spices, salt & honey. Cook until fragrant.
- Add in the tomatoes & about 2.5C of water as well as the lentils (rinse if you don’t buy pre-rinsed, skip if you’re a risk taker like me). Cook until they’re tender (8-12 mins).
- Add in Chickpeas. Heat and simmer for 5 mins to finish up the lentils and allow the chickpeas to gain flavour.
- Serve over rice if you’d like. But DEFINITELY top with THIS next little add-on recipe…
Simple and quick Apple- Mango Chutney
1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
1C frozen mango
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1/2C sugar (for real, just do it)
1/4C white vinegar
1T fresh grated ginger
1t fresh lemon juice (I forgot this and it was fine)
1/4t sea salt (or to taste)
Literally put all items except the lemon juice & salt in a small pot, bring to a simmer over medium heat and then allow to simmer, stirring frequently. Pull off the heat once it’s thickened. Add lemon & salt, stir to combine. Let cool.
How to time this meal:
- Put on your rice
- Start the Chutney – let it simmer
- Start the Curry – follow instructions