This post was inspired by a question from my SuperCrew! Christine posed this awesome question:
“How to goal set and use them when you slip, especially when you are someone with a huge amount to lose and feel overwhelmed?”
When you have a huge goal it’s easy to get overwhelmed if you keep your focus on that big goal, especially when you “slip up” (which is TOTALLY going to happen – because you’re HUMAN!). So there are TWO very important things to remember when tackling a BIG goal:
- Break it into bite sized pieces! Take that BIG goal and break it down into smaller more mentally manageable mini-goals with shorter timelines that don’t feel overwhelming. Choose mini-goals you KNOW you can rock. And then break those mini-goals into small manageable action steps – or small habit shifts. Tackle just ONE thing at a time to set yourself up for success. Once you’re successful with that ONE thing, then – and only then – move onto the NEXT small habit shift and LAYER it on! Success breeds success. So set yourself up to ROCK!
- What is in it for you. This is that WHY I like to talk about – aka harp on. It’s easy to get stuck on the idea of achieving a goal and lose track of WHY it matters!? Especially in weight loss. Often times I hear clients talk about losing weight, and they are doing it because they “should.” But “should” comes from a place of shame/ guilt – NOT from a place of empowerment & growth. So really take a look and be curious about what is in it for you to achieve this goal. Ask yourself these questions to gain clarity:
- How will my life improve by achieving this goal?
- What will I be able to do that I can’t now?
- What inspires me about achieving this goal?
- How will achieving this goal make me FEEL? WHY?
- What is in it for me?
This WHY piece is probably THE most important WHEN you “slip up” and make a choice that doesn’t move you closer to your goals. In that moment, practice self-compassion. What would you say to your best friend? Or your child, if they “slipped up?” You would likely say, it’s OK! You’re HUMAN! Take a deep breath and start again. Remember WHY you started, reconnect to that greater PURPOSE & meaning. And keep going! Because all those REASONS? They’re worth it. YOU are worth it!
If you need support please don’t be shy. Sometimes having a champion in your corner can really make all the difference. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for details about how Accountability Coaching can help you reach your goals!